Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the awesome Broke and Bookish!
This week’s topic is about books we almost put down, but eventually ended up finishing. Sometimes I am happy I managed to finish a book that I almost set down, and other times I wish I’d gone with my first instincts to move on to another book. There are books that fall in both of those categories on this list. I also included a few that I have set down for quite awhile, but fully intend to get back to and finish!
3 Books I Wish I Had Put Down:
1. The Dark World, by Cara Lynn Shultz: This was an alright book, but ultimately disappointed me. If I had not received it for review purposes, I probably would’ve set it down during a major break in the action and not picked it back up. I wasn’t very attached to the characters and didn’t feel differently by the end of the book.
2. Obsidian, by Jennifer L. Armentrout: I really disliked the leading man in this book, as I discussed on a Top Ten Tuesday awhile back, and I wish I’d gone with my instincts to set the book down about half-way through instead of finishing it. It was not my cup of tea at all.
3. The Mad Scientist’s Daughter, by Cassandra Rose Clarke: I really disliked this book. If you want to see my thoughts on it you can check out my mini-review by clicking on the title. I kept wanting to set it down and not look back, but I pushed myself to finish it for some reason. Afterwards, I wish I hadn’t bothered.
3 Books I am so glad I Picked Back Up:
4. Across the Universe, by Beth Revis: I set this one down for about a week because the beginning was pretty slow, and debated whether I would finish it at all. I did, ended up really enjoying this book and reading the rest of the series.
5. Throne of Glass, by Sara J. Maas: This was another one that didn’t really draw me in during the first few chapters, but I persevered anyway because it is very popular with many bloggers I read. I’m so glad I did because, although it isn’t one of my favorite books, it ended up being really great!
6. The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss: This book is amazing. I can’t believe I almost missed out on it just because it is very long and has a bit of a slow start. I set it down for awhile before I picked it back up again, and I’m so glad I didn’t let this one go!
4 Books I Put Down for Now But Intend to Finish:
7. Lexicon, Max Barry: I got this as a library book, didn’t finish it in time, and now I’m back on the loooong waitlist. So, I didn’t really set the book down by choice since I had to return it, but I won’t be able to finish it for awhile now (sigh).
8. Slaughterhouse 5, Kurt Vonnegut: I bought this book a few years back and never got around to reading it. I have been reading it on my infrequent bus trips the last month and intend to finish it soon!
9. Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern: I bought this to read while traveling a couple years ago, and when I didn’t finish it on the trip I put it down for later. Which became much, much later. Anyway, I intend to finish it before the end of this year.
10. Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon: I bought this a few months ago and started reading it immediately, but got sidetracked and didn’t continue it. I actually loved the few chapters I read and I think I may just read this one slowly in order to savor it longer.